Sunday, October 3, 2010

1st Session Reflection

Having taken a similar module when i was studying for my diploma in early childhood, it turned out to be a whole new experience, as the first session kicked off with many brain-wrecking activities that got me intrigued. The Math module that I has during my diploma course was more theory-based, while the one conducted by Dr Yeap was much more hands-on.

Preschool parents, in particular, often ask for pencil-and-paper activities with numbers for their children long before the children are ready for such abstract work.”(Copley, 1999, p.212)
I like seeing many manipulatives and materials used during the class, and the games and activities that come with it. It further reminded me that Math should be taught in a fun way so that preschoolers could learn and at the same time, enjoy learning Math. I always believe that the foundation of Math concepts should be build through hands on experience, especially for preschoolers.

I've also learned a number of cool math tricks! The addition of the numbers on 2 dice and the poker card tricks by spelling the numbers. Not forgetting the 'take one or two" game, it was something I played when I was in primary school! Today's session gave me some ideas of the activities i can include in the math learning centers in my class! Before I end, I found this really cool clock trick! somehow, it always ends at 6... hmmm...



1 comment:

  1. 104,729 is a prime number. However:
    104,729^2=10,968,163,441+14=109,968,163,455/12=914013621.25≠3

    ReplyDelete