Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chapter 1 and 2 reflection

The first thought that crossed my mind when i flipped open the textbook was, "Wow, it's colourful." It didn't strike me as a book that will have colours, so i was pretty surprise. It kind of reminded me of my Biology textbook during secondary school. Frankly speaking, i had this stereotypical attitude towards math since young. I've scored amazing high marks, but also outrageous bottom line marks during my years of study with math. That is probably one of the reason that made me mad, it wasn't consistent.

The 6 principles mentioned in chapter one has become a guideline that i will reflect on each time i conduct a math activity in class. I always conduct hands on math activities to my class of children. I believe that children need to learn mathematics with understanding, and that should be build through authentic experience rather than memorizing formula. There was once i did estimation and measurement, where the children estimate how many of them could stand on a chair, squat under the table, stand on the table etc. They had a lot of fun! And then I came across this video:



I am talking about preschool's math, I wouldn't be able to designed a hands on activity to teach "Differentiation" (I dreaded this topic so much during secondary school).

Chapter 1 also addressed positive attitude as one of the factors in becoming an efficient educator to teach math to young children. Eventhough math is never my favourite subject, I do find teaching math to preschooler and kindergarten fun. Many of us should be familiar with Albert Cullum (A Touch of Greatness). He is one of the very inspirational educator that I really look up to, as he was a teacher that would go beyond textbook in making learning a joyful experience. Below is a blog entry by Albert Cullum's ex student:

"Al Cullum changed all that. He taught me that there was a world of greatness, creativity, and beauty just waiting to be experienced. Every thing Al touched was magical, be it history, math, poetry, or art. His classroom hummed with joy and excitement. Every subject was treated with contagious creativity. We solved math problems in King Tut's tomb, raced around the room solving geography problems, read great poety to our peers, guessed the names of masterpieces of art and I'm not even scratching the surface." Ken Ramirez.

I've had children who are unable to differentiate 12 and 21, 13 and 31 and so on. One of the child in my class would ask me how to write the number 9. It worries me sometimes that situation like this happened. I would go home and cracked my brain to think of interesting ways to help them recognize numbers. One of it was "all then 'teens' begins with 1". My other challenges would be parents, because they are more keen to see worksheets and results, while I always always focus the process.

Chapter 2 highlights many familiar child development theories that connect to how children learn math. I agree that visual aid is a very important tool in teaching math. Children need to see and touch to internalize the fundamental of a particular math concept. Providing physical model, pictures, manipulatives or real objects is definitely going to make math learning fun and effective for young children. The coordination of teachers and the classroom environment plays a crucial role in providing optimal math learning experience for children. It would be nice to have us sharing about some of our interesting teaching experience on Mathematics =) With that, i shall sign off now~

Goodbye~


1 comment:

  1. The ability to write thirteen correctly in numerals can be achieved either by remembering it or that thirteen is one ten and three ones and in the numeral 13 the first digit stands for one ten and the second three ones. I suppoe it helps if a teacher of early numeracy emphasizes that often by simply saying it each time these numbers are written - thirteen is one ten and three ones, and pictures will definitely be a big help, if not actual concrete materials.

    ReplyDelete