Sunday, September 19, 2010

Technology

When I was in primary school, I would often look forward to computer class. A typical Math class I had everyday would include learning tools such as the whiteboard that the teacher would used (not forgetting the unbearable smell of the markers), workbook, worksheets, ruler and the never-seemed-to-end rote practice of Math sums. Computer class opened up a new way of practicing Math as it incorporates more fun into learning. The school offered a number of computer software that helps students to learn and practice Math skills such as operations, geometry, patterning, estimation and many more. There were many fun games in the program that somehow made students enjoyed learning math subconsciously. I can vividly remember controlling the character named Coco in the game, to help him reached the top of the building by planting seeds for him to climb. The game involved math concept like simple operations, counting and problem solving. Using technology like computer software, Math had been a very enjoyable learning experience for me.

You may want to try out some interesting online games suitable for Kindergarten children:

Fun Kids Online Math Game
Canon Math (addition)
Zuma (matching colours)






There are various emerging technology such as electronic gadgets like iphone and ipad. The children in my center as young as 4 years old know how to use their parents' iphone to play and download games. Just last week, a child in my class came to me excitedly and said, "Teacher Xinli! I have ipad you know. My daddy buy for me." I notice, or most of us should have realized, that technology has taken over most of the current generation's play experiences, from watching cartoons to playing Wii games, PSP etc. There was a 5 year old boy who told me that he likes staying at home because he can play video game with his brother all day. Children now spent lesser time critically thinking to construct materials to play, instead, they can jus
t hold on to an iphone, shake it, and the dice in the screen will roll by itself. Even though I strongly feels that children need authentic materials to learn, the virtual element of technology has overshadowed what I advocate- first hand, real, and hands on learning. I've heard of this joke, about how human of the future generation will have a much bigger head with small and limp body since they will only use their brain to create more advance technology and then rely on those inventions.

Some technological tools to learn Math:


However, I cannot underestimate the power of technology as it has greatly influenced how children acquire knowledge nowadays. As I have previously mentioned, I did find learning Math enjoyable through the technology approach too. More importantly, it is how adults educating children weigh the importance of both technology and hands on approaches to strike a balance in children's learning and their attitude to learn. Thinking through my teaching experience for the past one and a half year, I have never really include technology into children's learning. I find that it is a time to start after reading the chapter, as I have a clearer idea of the impact of teaching Math to children using technology, as well as the appropriate tools to teach Math.


goodbye~

No comments:

Post a Comment